I don't think that statement is accurate. The minor compaction is still
triggered for small sstables but for the big sstables it may or may not.
By default Cassandra will wait until it finds 4 sstables of the same size
to trigger the compaction so if the sstables are big then it may take a
while to be compacted.
If you are sure that you have a lot of tombstones and they will be deleted
then I think you are safe to go.

-Binh