It only takes a moment to ask to be added as a wiki contributor; if you
email the dev list or ask on irc, somebody with privileges will ordinarily
add you within a day. It may be a psychological barrier, but it isn't
really a practical one. Still, if you feel the policy is incorrect, raise
this on the dev list also.