All requests I've seen in the past year to edit the wiki (admittedly only
2-3) have been answered promptly with editing privileges. Personally I
don't have a major preference either way for policy - there are positives
and negatives to each approach - but, like I said, raise it on the dev list
and see if anybody else does.

However I must admit I cannot empathise with your characterisation of
requesting permission as 'begging', or a 'slap in the face', or that it is
even particularly onerous. It is a slight psychological barrier, but in my
personal experience when a psychological barrier as low as this prevents me
from taking action, it's usually because I don't have as much desire to
contribute as I thought I did.