Hello guys!
I was reading about
https://cassandra.apache.org/doc/latest/architecture/dynamo.html#networktopologystrategy
I would like to understand a concept related to the node load balancing.
I know that Jon recommends Vnodes = 4 but right now I found a cluster with
vnodes = 256 replication factor = 3 and 2 racks. This is unbalanced because the
racks are not a multiplier of the replication factor.
However, my plan is to move all the nodes in a single rack to eventually scale
up and down the node in the cluster once at the time.
If I had 3 racks and I would like to keep the things balanced I should scale up
3 nodes at the time one for each rack.
If I would have 3 racks, should I have also 3 different datacenters so one
datacenter for each rack?
Can I have 2 datacenters and 3 racks? If this is possible one datacenter would
have more nodes than the others? Could it be a problem?
I am thinking to split my cluster in one datacenter for reads and one for
writes and keep all the nodes in the same rack so I can scale up once node at
the time.

Please correct me if I am wrong

Thanks,

Sergio