As someone who watched some of the work (but wasn’t really involved), I think a
bunch of it fizzled for various reasons

The rocks stuff was built (mostly? Completely?) by one company for their use
case (the best kind of open source), but wasn’t in a form that was easy to
commit upstream - the work to make clean abstractions to make it pluggable ran
up against other priorities and ultimately slowed to a halt.

Some of the abstractions are patch available or committed, but I’m not sure if
the rocksandra folks are likely to continue rebasing and trying to get it
finished / upstreamed post 4.0

That said, there are indeed a ton of things in rocks I hope we adopt.