Hi all,

I have a similar problem with my application. This is a java application
(not using any application server).

I use commons-logging for logging puposes and log4j as implementation. This
is working (I mean I got the log) but it is impossible to deactivate the
log. All log informations go to a file named "extern.log" in the directory
from which the application is launched.

The log level is always DEBUG (however I mentioned ERROR in the log4.xml)
and the format is the same as

2008-05-29 12:57:30,829.1   [main] DEBUG com.tsdsoftware.ouat  - Environment
used for the WS call: T24JBDEV

I have create a commons-logging.properties file to force it to use the log4j
implementation and avoid the discovery procedure but it didn't change
anything to the log level.
As my application is running on Windows with jdk1.6, I tried to trace all
API calls to the system with Processmonitor (
http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/bb896645.aspx?PHPSESSID=d926)
and I saw that the JVM accessed to the log4j.xml configuration file. But the
level stays DEBUG and the output file stays extern.log. (I'm wondering where
this filename comes from. I searched all source files of log4j and
commons-logging but didn't find this 'default' name).

Any idea ?

Thanks,
Pierre