I got cracking on testing this out... no luck (yet). Here's my testing code
if some kind person could please take a look....
First my generic collection hierarchy (which only contains a name and
children)...

package jxpathresearch;

import java.util.ArrayList;

public class HierarchyPojo extends ArrayList<HierarchyPojo> {

    public HierarchyPojo(String name){
        this.setName(name);
    }
    private String name = "";

    public String getName() {
        return name;
    }
    public void setName(String name) {
        this.name = name;
    }

}

Next, the wrapper for the root context (as Matt suggested) and populated
with animals...

package jxpathresearch;

public class CollectionRoot {

    private HierarchyPojo hierarchyPojo;

    public CollectionRoot(){

        //Animal

        hierarchyPojo = new HierarchyPojo("Animal");

        //Animal.Dog

        HierarchyPojo dog = new HierarchyPojo("Dog");

        //Animal.Dog.Labrador

        dog.add(new HierarchyPojo("Labrador"));

        //Animal.Dog.Boxer

        dog.add(new HierarchyPojo("Boxer"));

        //Animal.Dog.Mastiff

        dog.add(new HierarchyPojo("Mastiff"));

        //Animal.Cat

        HierarchyPojo cat = new HierarchyPojo("Cat");

        //Animal.Cat.Tiger

        cat.add(new HierarchyPojo("Tiger"));

        //Animal.Cat.Cougar

        cat.add(new HierarchyPojo("Cougar"));

        //Animal.Cat.Leopard

        cat.add(new HierarchyPojo("Leopard"));

        //Add Animal.Dog & Animal.Cat

        hierarchyPojo.add(dog);

        hierarchyPojo.add(cat);

    }

    public HierarchyPojo getHierarchyPojo() {return hierarchyPojo;}

    public void setHierarchyPojo(HierarchyPojo hierarchyPojo)
{this.hierarchyPojo = hierarchyPojo;}

}

Finally invoke and test...

public class App

{

    {

        JXPathContext context = JXPathContext.newContext(new
CollectionRoot());

        String query = "//hierarchypo...@name='Tiger']";

        String fName = context.getValue(query).toString();

        System.out.println("Ran '"+query+"' and got '"+fName+"'");

    }

}

Above, should find one entry for 'name=Tiger' but it does not, I get an
exception. This still doesn't seem to traverse the Collection correctly. Any
help would be most welcome.
Exception in thread "main"
org.apache.commons.jxpath.JXPathNotFoundException: No value for xpath:
//hierarchypo...@name='Tiger']

Thanks for reading,
Andrew