On Mon, Dec 3, 2012 at 2:13 PM, Francesco Spegni
<francesco.spe...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On 03/12/2012 16:02, Jacob Beard wrote:
>>
>> Hi Francesco,
>
> Hi Jacob,
>
> thanks for your solution that I've read with interest. First of all, your
> solution has a minor issue I'm concerned about:
>
> - in Statecharts, AFAIK, the notion of timeout implies that something must
> be executed after a known amount of time; in the semantics I've in mind,
> borrowed from Timed Automata, a transition is enabled/disabled in certain
> time-windows. This means that nothing *happens* but something *can happen*
> (non deterministically) when the condition is true ... but this may be a
> minor issue, because it happened that our work stemmed from Timed Automata

Just to be clear, what's happening in the SCXML example I cited is
that an event ("$timeout_1") is sent to the state machine after a
specified amount of time. The mechanism by which the event is
scheduled is platform-specific. If the system is in a state which does
not have a transition with a trigger corresponding to that event, then
the event will be ignored. This behaviour is deterministic, but
whether the state machine will select a particular transition that has
a timeout after the amount of time specified in the timeout, is
non-deterministic.

> A major concern we have is that right now we have in mind more complex
> expressions. For instance, at the moment we consider two kinds of conditions
> on transitions:
> - time conditions that enable/disable a transition;
> - a conjunctive boolean formula, that refers to a finite set of propositions
> in description logic;
> - a combination of the above two.

It sounds like the second item on your list could be accomplished
through scripting. I'd have to see an example of the third item to
understand what this looks like.

> This apparently heterogeneous language is aimed at describing parametrized
> FSMs (i.e. FSM with an undefined number of running "instances") to reason on
> timed and RESTful services.

As SCXML is just XML, it's easy to parameterize, for example using XSLT.