It's just a label that says not 1.0 but really it seems like a label I see
more often than alpha and beta these days. The main idea for me is that we
should have a couple of releases IMO before we stamp a 1.0 and set a binary
compatibility base line.

I am happy to call releases alpha, beta, or milestones until then.

Gary