Hi Ronny,

For me “a-ha” moment was to realise that design document is just an ordinary
CouchDB document, so it can be created and updated with any http client: curl,
httpie, whatnot. I’ve writed up a gist with basic demo on using curl for that:
https://gist.github.com/eiri/70e3a44421ade7f01d4394ef08f80091

Key moments to notice there that while updating design document it must have
revision and that value of “map” is a string, but it need to be a proper
javascript, as it’ll be evaluated as such.

So yes, it is easily possible to manage design documents without third party
tools.

Sorry, I don’t know the answer on your third question, I’m more of a command
line guy.

Regards,
Eric