Bumping memory to:

DRILL_MAX_DIRECT_MEMORY="16G"
DRILL_HEAP="8G"

The 44GB file imported successfully in 25 minutes - acceptable on this hardware.

I don't know if the default memory setting was to blame or not.

On 28 May 2015, at 14:22, Andries Engelbrecht wrote:

That is the Drill direct memory per node.

DRILL_HEAP is for the heap size per node.

More info here
http://drill.apache.org/docs/configuring-drill-memory/

—Andries