Hi Craig,
I also received only this email (and I'm a moderator of the dev@ list, so
the message never made it into Apache's infra)

When this issue was first reported [1][2] I asked on the Maven mailing list
what's going on [3]. I think this JIRA contains the most information on the
issue: https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/MNG-5899
It doesn't seem that Maven is going to fix the issue anytime soon.

One idea I had regarding this issue was to print a warning in the maven
output if we detect Maven 3.3 at build time.

n3.nabble.com/flink-dist-packaging-including-unshaded-classes-td9504.html
[3] http://comments.gmane.org/gmane.comp.jakarta.turbine.maven.user/137621