If you call createLocalEnvironmentWithWebUI you don't need to start a cluster with the start-local.sh script, you can run it from the IDE and it will start the web UI. If you submit a job to a cluster that was started outside the IDE
you can call getExecutionEnvironment as usual.

Not sure why the errors are different, but the message generally occurs when you call execute() on an environment where you never defined any operators on. Please check that you're not creating multiple environments.

If possible it might also be helpful to provide us (or me personally) with the code of your program.