I am trying to understand the role of Job Manager in Flink, and have come
across two possibly distinct interpretations.

1. The online documentation v1.8 signifies that there is at least one Job
Manager in a cluster, and it is closely tied to the cluster of machines, by
managing all jobs in that cluster of machines.

This signifies that Flink's Job Manager is much like Hadoop's Application
Manager.

2. The book, "Stream Processing with Apache Flink", writes that, "The Job
Manager is the master process that controls the execution of a single
application—each application is controlled by a different Job Manager."

This signifies that Flink defaults to one Job Manager per job, and the Job
Manager is closely tied to that single job, much like Hadoop's Application
Master for each job.

Please let me know which one is correct.

Pankaj