+1 on upgrading the HBase version of the connector, and 1.4.3 is indeed an
old version.

OTOH, AFAIK there're still quite some 1.x HBase clusters in production. We
could also see that the HBase community is still maintaining 1.x release
lines (with "stable-1 release" point to 1.4.13) [1]

Please also notice that HBase follows semantic versioning [2] [3] thus
don't promise any kind of compatibility (source/binary/wire, etc.) between
major versions. So if we only maintain 2.x connector, it would not be able
to work with 1.x HBase clusters.

I totally understand the additional efforts of maintaining two modules, but
since we're also reserving multiple versions for kafka connector, meantime
considering the current HBase in-production status, I'd still suggest to
get both 1.4.13 and 2.2.5 supported.

Best Regards,
Yu

[1] http://hbase.apache.org/downloads.html