Thank you~

Xintong Song

---------- Forwarded message ---------
From: Xintong Song <tonysong...@gmail.com>
Date: Fri, May 6, 2022 at 5:07 PM
Subject: Re: [Discuss] Creating an Apache Flink slack workspace
To: private <priv...@flink.apache.org>
Cc: Chesnay Schepler <ches...@apache.org>

Hi Chesnay,

Correct me if I'm wrong, I don't find this is *repeatedly* discussed on the
ML. The only discussions I find are [1] & [2], which are 4 years ago. On
the other hand, I do find many users are asking questions about whether
Slack should be supported [2][3][4]. Besides, I also find a recent
discussion thread from ComDev [5], where alternative communication channels
are being discussed. It seems to me ASF is quite open to having such
additional channels and they have been worked well for many projects
already.

I see two reasons for brining this discussion again:
1. There are indeed many things that have change during the past 4 years.
We have more contributors, including committers and PMC members, and even
more users from various organizations and timezones. That also means more
discussions and Q&As are happening.
2. The proposal here is different from the previous discussion. Instead of
maintaining a channel for Flink in the ASF workspace, here we are proposing
to create a dedicated Apache Flink slack workspace. And instead of *moving*
the discussion to Slack, we are proposing to add a Slack Workspace as an
addition to the ML.

Below is your opinions that I found from your previous -1 [1]. IIUR, these
are all about the using ASF Slack Workspace. If I overlooked anything,
please let me know.

> 1. According to INFRA-14292 <
> https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/INFRA-14292> the ASF Slack isn't
> run by the ASF. This alone puts this service into rather questionable
> territory as it /looks/ like an official ASF service. If anyone can provide
> information to the contrary, please do so.

2. We already discuss things on the mailing lists, JIRA and GitHub. All of
> these are available to the public, whereas the slack channel requires an
> @apache mail address, i.e. you have to be a committer. This minimizes the
> target audience rather significantly. I would much rather prefer something
> that is also available to contributors.

I do agree this should be decided by the whole community. I'll forward this
to dev@ and user@ ML.

Thank you~

Xintong Song

[1] https://lists.apache.org/thread/gxwv49ssq82g06dbhy339x6rdxtlcv3d