Hey Vidya Sagar,

*- Is the code actually using this compression library? Can this
vulnerability issue be ignored?*

I glanced at the LZ4 in Flink. IIUC, LZ4 is used to compress blocks in
batch table which was introduced by FLINK-11858[1], FLINK-23447[2] bumped
it to 1.8. So, LZ4 is actually used by some code.

*- * *would it be ok if we upgrade the version of LZ4 in our local cloned
code base?*

 I guess you can refer to FLINK-23447[2] to upgrade it. I am not familiar
with batch mode, AFAIK, flink-table-runtime[3] would definitely be affected.

https://github.com/apache/flink/blob/master/flink-table/flink-table-runtime/src/main/java/org/apache/flink/table/runtime/operators/sort/BinaryExternalSorter.java#L213

Martijn Visser <martijnvis...@apache.org> 于2022年12月9日周五 18:23写道:

> [...]
> you're noticing an outdated version for the lz4 compression library and an
> update is required, it would be great if you can open the PR to update that
> dependency yourself.
>
> Best regards,
>
> Martijn
>
> On Thu, Dec 8, 2022 at 10:31 PM Vidya Sagar Mula <mulasa...@gmail.com>
> wrote:
>
>> Thank you Yanfei for taking this issue as a bug and planning a fix in the
>> upcoming version.
>>
>> I have another vulnerability bug coming on our product. It is related to
>> the "LZ4" compression library version. Can you please take a look at this
>> link?
>> https://nvd.nist.gov/vuln/detail/CVE-2019-17543
>>
>> I have noticed that, Flink code base is using "*<lz4.version>1.8.0</lz4*
>> *.version>*". Vulnerability is present for the versions *before 1.9.2.*
>>
>> https://github.com/apache/flink/blob/master/pom.xml
>>
>> Can you please look into this issue also and address it in the coming
>> releases?
>>
>> Questions:
>> -----------
>> - Is the code actually using this compression library? Can this
>> vulnerability issue be ignored?
>>
>> - Can you please let me know if this is going to be addressed. If yes,
>> until we move to the new Flink version to get the latest changes, would it
>> be ok if we upgrade the version of LZ4 in our local cloned code base? I
>> would like to understand the impact if we make changes in our local Flink
>> code with regards to testing efforts and any other affected modules?
>>
>> Can you please clarify this?
>>
>> Thanks,
>> Vidya Sagar.
>>

>> On Wed, Dec 7, 2022 at 7:59 AM Yanfei Lei <fredia...@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>>> Hi Vidya Sagar,
>>>
>>> Thanks for bringing this up.
>>>
>>> The RocksDB state backend defaults to Snappy[1]. If the compression
>>> option is not specifically configured, this vulnerability of ZLIB has no
>>> effect on the Flink application for the time being.
>>>
>>> *> is there any plan in the coming days to address this? *
>>>
>>> The FRocksDB 6.20.3-ververica-1.0
>>> <https://mvnrepository.com/artifact/com.ververica/frocksdbjni/6.20.3-ververica-1.0>
>>>   does
>>> depend on ZLIB 1.2.11, FLINK-30321 is created to address this.
>>>
>>> *> If this needs to be fixed, is there any plan from Ververica to
>>> address this vulnerability?*
>>>
>>> Yes, we plan to publish a new version of FRocksDB[3] in Flink 1.17, and
>>> FLINK-30321
>>> would be included in the new release.
>>>
>>> *> how to address this vulnerability issue as this is coming as a high
>>> severity blocking issue to our product.*
>>>
>>> As a kind of mitigation, don't configure ZLIB compression for RocksDB
>>> state backend.
>>> If ZLIB must be used now and your product can't wait, maybe you can
>>> refer to this release document[4] to release your own version.

>>> Yanfei
>>> Ververica (Alibaba)
>>>
>>> Vidya Sagar Mula <mulasa...@gmail.com> 于2022年12月7日周三 06:47写道:

Yanfei