David,

thank you for your thoughts. You provided good entry points for me. I
mentioned hibernate specifically because

we already are using hibernate and CMP in parallel within our project (as
CMP2.x sometimes does not fulfill all needs).

targeting JPA instead of hibernate specifically is essential –thank you for
that.

I also would like to do a one-by-one migration because I am afraid if we
would migrate the whole project at once,

everything could collapse. Doing smaller steps provides more control I
think.

>> However this would mean that you would need to start by generating the
cmp2 mapping info.

so this is what should to be contained in the Geronimo deployment plan
right? are deployment plans required also

in Geronimo2 ? (I think there shouldn’t be any more “vendor” specific DDs in
Java EE 5). But for compatibility reasons

with my EJB2.1 CMP beans I think I won’t come around to provide a mapping
file at all ;-)

I asked about XDoclet support for Geronimo some months ago, at that point in
time there was no usable version around.

As Java 2 EE 1.4 requires Java 1.4 I cannot work with annotations unless the
whole app is migrated, so XDoclet would

be of great help…?

regards,

Hans