Another thing you can do is to put a executable file caled setenv.sh in <gernonimohome>/bin containing something like this.
--------------setenv.sh in g bin---------------------------------------
#!/bin/sh
JAVA_HOME=/usr/lib/jvm/java-1.5.0-sun
JAVA_OPTS="-Djava.awt.headless=true -XX:MaxPermSize=128m -Xms128M -Xmx512M -server"
It will be read at startup with ./startup.sh

regards
  Peter Petersson

Jason Warner wrote:
Hi Mark,

One issue that has been noticed when using Ubuntu is that it's difficult to use the appropriate JVM. The solution I've been using is to recreate the java symlink in /usr/bin and have it point to the proper version of java that you more than likely have already downloaded.
Hope this helps,

Jason Warner