Hi David,

Thanks for your reply. I started reading the J2EE Connector 1.5 Specification
yesterday and hope this will help me to better understand how J2EE connectors
work and thus use the maximum out of them :)

To say the truth I am interested in building a connector which is able to
receive inbound and send outbound messages; in other words a remote client
would be able to establish a connection and send messages to an EIS deployed on
the application server and the EIS would (also) be able to establish a
connection and send messages to the remote client. When I started developing my
connector for Tomcat I was trying to achieve this. Due to my (lack) of
experiance I thought this was not part of the J2EE connector specification; now
that I read the documentation it seems it is.

My main aim is to find an application server which I can use as the base for
any network solution I want to develop (not only web applications).

When I developed small network applications I realised that most of the time
all my client/server application work exactly in the same way and very similar
to how a web/application server works. However, since I mostly developed web
applications, I thought that web/application servers could only handle inbound
messages (this was before I read the first chapters of the J2EE connector
specification). For this reason I tried to develop a protocol handler on Tomcat
that was able to estable a connection with a remote client and thus make it
able to handle inbound and outbound messages. Then after hitting a brick wall
with Tomcat I did some more research and found Geronimo. I want to continue on
Geronimo now; also because it is highly modularised which I like.

The sceanrio I have in mind is as follows:

Client (A) --[send message]--> EIS --[send messages]--> Client (B) --[send
confirm message]--> EIS --[send confirm message]--> Client A

This means that asynchronus communication would be a very intresting concept :)

I do not have a dead line for this; for me the most important thing is to
learn. So feel free to suggest any reading. I am also happy to read example
code since I feel this helps me better to understand how things work :)

Thanks again,
Simon J.