Thanks Jeff.
I added -Xmx768M to the end of the existing entry found at:

Run > Run Configurations >  (Geronimo 2.1) >  Arguments > VM Arguments

I started the server right from the run configuration because it seemed
like my -Xmx768M would disappear if I didn't.

It published the second time without error!  I thought I was home-free,
but the third publish, I got a different error:

Connection to deployment manager failed. See log for details. Invalid login.

So I tried it all again (many times actually).

I restarted Eclipse, and got the two good publishes, although the
second publish I got this warning:

10:41:20,968 WARN [ResolverUtil] Could not examine class 'manning/chapterFour/utils/User.class' due to a java.lang.OutOfMemoryError with message: PermGen space

It was just a warning, so the application publish did not
fail.  I removed the project from the server an published
a third time.  This time, the published failed with

10:43:49,250 ERROR [Deployer] Deployment failed due to java.lang.OutOfMemoryError: PermGen space

I'm starting Eclipse with "-vmargs -Xmx768M", if that factors into it.
I was unable to change the memory configuration in eclipse.ini without
Eclipse failing to startup, so eclipse.ini contains default settings.

As an additional test, I removed what looked to be the problem,
chapterFour.util, from the project and restarted Eclipse.
After restarting the server from the run configuration with -Xmx768M,
the first publish worked, the second failed with:

Starting of module failed.  See log for details.
 start of default/Struts2InAction/1.0/car failed
org.apache.geronimo.kernel.config.LifecycleException: start of default/Struts2InAction/1.0/car failed

So, the more I play with this, the more different error messages I
seem to be able to expose.

I can work around it by restarting Eclipse for every publish, but that's quite a pain.
Looking for more ideas, I suppose.

--Dale--