On Mar 9, 2009, at 4:48 AM, Jaikiran wrote:

Juergen Weber wrote:

- Geronimo's Console is way better than JBoss's

Haven't used the Geronimo's console, but i agree that JBoss' console is
minimal. However there is Embedded Jopr which provides this capability
http://www.jboss.org/embjopr . Infact, in the soon to be released 5.x
version of the AS, this embedded console will be shipped by default in the
AS http://www.jboss.org/feeds/post/jboss_as_5_0_1_ga_released.

Juergen Weber wrote:

- I don't like to have to touch application files to make JBoss redeploy
them

Just some thoughts - there are other way to redeploy in JBoss :)
1) If you are using an IDE with JBoss integration like the JBoss Tools
http://www.jboss.org/tools you can redeploy the application without having
to know, how that is done
2) JBoss AS has always provided JMX MBeans to do such stuff. The jmx- console (http://host:port/jmx-console) has a MainDeployer which provides a redeploy option. The jmx-console is the minimal (admin) console that i was talking
about.

Juergen Weber wrote:

- JBoss's support for new JEE versions is not very speedy

Just curious - was there some specific feature that wasn't available as fast
as some other server did? :)

JBoss JavaEE5 certification September 15, 2008
Geronimo JavaEE5 certification June 2007

I have no idea what functionality was missing or broken that prevented them from certifying earlier, and doubt they can tell you either due to tck licensing restrictions.

Anyway, I think you should try out the servers you think are interesting and see which one(s) fit your requirements and style of work. This is not really the place to discuss the advantages or disadvantages of JBoss. You can easily deploy simple apps on any app server. To me it seems more interesting to ask how the app server fits into the software development and maintenance workflow. For instance, how much of the server configuration easily fits in scm and how does it get from scm to the developer, qa, and production servers? Using maven, geronimo plugins and custom assemblies, all the configuration is in scm and the build system is used to produce the servers for all workflow phases.