Benjamin Heitmann wrote:
> On 25 May 2012, at 08:19, Avery Ching wrote:
>
>> Actually, I suspect that we can remove munge if we get rid of the Hadoop RPC
implementation and only use the Netty one.  Any thoughts on that?

> +1
>
> That would be great.
>
> Its hard to say if the munge maven plugin is actively maintained/supported,
there does not really seem to be a web site for it AFAIK...

Hi Benjamin, Sebastian, Avery,
there is GIRAPH-196 to track progress on this:
https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/GIRAPH-196 (initial patch available)

While I see no problem in replacing the Hadoop RPC with the Netty implementation
Avery contributed, I am not 100% sure about the implications in relation to
secure vs. non-secure versions of Hadoop.

In particular, the removal of BspPolicyProvider.java and BspTokenSelector.java
(that might be a mistake).

>From my point of view, not being able to work with the support of an IDE as
normal (I use Eclipse) is quite a limitation. In particular when you need to
refactor some code. I work and make my changes with Eclipse, as usual, but those
are on the generated code. Then you need to manually port/copy them to the
'real' sources in src/ and you do not have the help of SVN to tell you what's
changed since generated sources are in target and (rightly so) not under version
control.

If changes to support different versions of Hadoop cannot be factored out,
another option (IMHO better than the current situation) would be to maintain two
or three small patches that people who want to use Giraph with a different
version of Hadoop can eventually apply.

What do you think?

Paolo