Regarding the netty secureness, we can of course add this to netty (i.e. ssl is built in to netty).

Avery

On 5/31/12 10:53 AM, Jakob Homan wrote:
While I see no problem in replacing the Hadoop RPC with the Netty implementation
Avery contributed, I am not 100% sure about the implications in relation to
secure vs. non-secure versions of Hadoop.
Those running netty in a secure cluster need to know we're totally
secure.  Agreed that we need a better story in this situation.

If changes to support different versions of Hadoop cannot be factored out,
another option (IMHO better than the current situation) would be to maintain two
or three small patches that people who want to use Giraph with a different
version of Hadoop can eventually apply.
Munging needs to go, the sooner the better; shimming may be in the
future, although that's not ideal either.  One option would be to not
support older versions aggressively, particularly with cross-version
rpc compatibility coming soon.  But I'd like to avoid a roll-your-own
approach; we need to officially support and have versions for
different Hadoops.

-jg