On Thu, Feb 6, 2014 at 3:04 PM, Alexander Frolov
<alexndr.fro...@gmail.com>wrote:

> Claudio,
> thank you very much for your help.
>
> On Thu, Feb 6, 2014 at 4:06 PM, Claudio Martella <
> claudio.marte...@gmail.com> wrote:
>

>> On Thu, Feb 6, 2014 at 12:15 PM, Alexander Frolov <
>> alexndr.fro...@gmail.com> wrote:

>>> Ok, I see. Then mapred.tasktracker.map.tasks.maximum is a maximum number
>>> of Workers [or Workers + Master] which will be created at the same node.
>>>
>>> That is if I have 8 node cluster
>>> with mapred.tasktracker.map.tasks.maximum=4, then I can run up to 31
>>> Workers + 1 Master.
>>>
>>> Is it correct?
>>>

>> That is correct. However, if you have total control over your cluster,
>> you may want to run one worker per node (hence setting the max number of
>> map tasks per machine to 1), and use multiple threads (input, compute,
>> output).
>> This is going to make better use of resources.
>>

> Should I explicitly force Giraph to use multiple threads for input,
> compute, output? Only three threads, I suppose? But I have 12 cores
> available in each node (24 if HT is enabled).

You're right, I was not clear. I suggest you use N threads for each of
those three classes, where N is something close to the number of processing
units (e.g. cores) you have available on each machine.
Consider that Giraph has a number of other threads running in the
background, for example to handle communication etc. I suggest you try
different setups through benchmarking.

--
   Claudio Martella