I’ve had a look at the assembled giraph-core jar file and it does not contain
any GiraphYarnTask. How so?

Running my application using the GiraphRunner works fine as long as I only have
one worker (local mode). To use the other workers, I need to start MR
TaskTrackers on the machines - which aren’t available on hadoop 2.5.1.

Thats why I need the GiraphYarnTask.