On 03/10/2011, at 3:01 PM, davide.cavestro wrote:

> Q1: wouldn't it be good if the war plugin could manage dependencies between
> war projects (not necessarily /compile/ deps... maybe we need a special
> configuration) interpreting them as a way to merge webapp contents and their
> dependencies

I'm not sure about this, as it's already relatively easy to achieve with the
dsl:

configure(project(":war1"), project(":war2")) {
        dependencies {
                providedCompile "foo:bar:1.0"
        }
}

Would it be possible to use this kind of DSL approach to implement the overlay
instead of using project dependencies? It seems like it's going to be simpler
and no more verbose.

There's a fundamental problem you are going to hit with project dependencies in
that the current arrangement of configurations is too coarse and lacking in
information to be able to handle the kind of thing you want to do properly.
There are some plans to remedy this, but it's going to be post 1.0.

> Q2: how could I distinguish provided deps from others in my example?
> I guess I could compose the war simply copying resources from the webapp dir
> of war1, but this way I'd loose any additional content included by war1 with
> custom logic.

I'd see if you can use the DSL to just apply the same configuration to multiple
projects like above.

--
Luke Daley
Principal Engineer, Gradleware