Luke Daley-2 wrote:

> You'll save yourself much pain by just using a different artifactId for
> the jar and the war.

you are right

Luke Daley-2 wrote:

> Would it be possible to use this kind of DSL approach to implement the
> overlay instead of using project dependencies? It seems like it's going to
> be simpler and no more verbose.

I've never used the
http://gradle.org/current/docs/dsl/org.gradle.api.Project.html#org.gradle.api.Project:configure%28java.lang.Iterable,%20groovy.lang.Closure%29
Project.configure()  before: it's straightforward and I have no evidence of
cases that can't be solved by using the DSL to apply configuration to
multiple projects.
But this is the situation: we have a multi-project build that copes with
some portion of web application organized indifferent projects: some could
be merged into a single project, but others should remain separate (i.e.
additional custom code and resources). To have a good integration with STS
we have to use project dependencies (see the
http://gradle.1045684.n5.nabble.com/Is-it-possible-to-elect-a-local-gradle-project-to-satisfy-other-projects-deps-tp4497854p4785691.html
relative thread ).
At this point publishing war artifacts is not needed, but we should still be
able to merge (copy) contents from web app portions into a complete web
application.
Gradle is so flexible that we easily achieve merging using something like

I'm just wondering if there could be a good convention to achieve this...
some *standard behavior* that the war plugin (or another plugin) could
implement. Stating that a war project by convention gets contents from other
war projects/artifacts it depends upon could be a starting point.
I think basically servlet 3 specs added support to
http://blogs.oracle.com/swchan/entry/servlet_3_0_web_fragment web fragments
to enhance pluggability, and it can also be enforced in terms of war
overlays at build time.

Cheers
Davide

Cheers