I just ended up resolving this a few minutes ago. Turns out it was zscaler ssl
inspection that was causing the issue.

-----Original Message-----

From: Michael Jumper <mjum...@apache.org>
Sent: Wednesday, November 15, 2023 1:33 PM
To: user@guacamole.apache.org
Subject: [EXTERNAL] Re: cannot get websocket connection workgin

[Use caution with links/attachments]

On 11/15/2023 9:50 AM, Campbell, Courtney wrote:
> I have an OL9 server setup with guacamole 1.5.3. There is an nginx reverse
> proxy in front that is terminating SSL and sending traffic the localhost on
> port 8080. Whenever I connect to anything it is super slow to respond. I see
> this in the error log.
>
> o.a.g.t.h.RestrictedGuacamoleHTTPTunnelServlet - Using HTTP tunnel
> (not WebSocket)
>
> If I set the reverse proxy to not use ssl, performance is great. This is a
> new install. I followed the docs on the project's main site. The only recent
> change to this was upgrading to nginx 1.22 because of an ssl end of file
> issue with openssl 3.X. Anyone have any ideas of how to solve this?

As long as your Nginx is v1.3 or later, it should have support for WebSocket,
though is additional configuration that must always be present for Nginx to
correctly pass WebSocket-related headers:

https://urldefense.com/v3/__https://guacamole.apache.org/doc/gug/reverse-proxy.html*nginx__;Iw!!AT8jIA!4aZFR0RnMlutwaqA1cTqe6xsgSbz-fjlSf4u1ffP_VxL-x-NT1W5h-l_4BBxOwaLd-NVRSFHCXQNUZtqTw$

What does your Nginx configuration look like?