Scott,Guacamole is, really, a protocol.  It's a way of converting the various
remote desktop protocols - like RDP, VNC, SSH, etc., - to a single protocol.
There is a Guacamole Server (guacd) and a Guacamole Client.  The Guacamole
Server, guacd, handles the translating RDP, VNC, SSH, and Telnet, to the
Guacamole Protocol.  The Guacamole Server does not implement everything
necessary for you to access the connections in a web browser - you need a
client that speaks the Guacmaole protocol to accomplish this.
So, the core answer to your question is, yes, you can just use guacd - you do
not have to use the web client provided by the Guacamole project.  However, if
you're going to do this, you still need something to translate between the
Guacamole protocol and whatever client type you're trying to use.  If it's a
web browser, you'll need to write a web application.  If it's a mobile device,
you'd need to implement a mobile application, etc.  But, whatever client type
you want to use, you have to write something that speaks the Guacamole Protocol
to guacd.
Hope this helps - feel free to respond with additional questions if you have
them.
Regards,Nick
== He has shown you, O man, what is good; And what does the LORD require of you
But to do justly, To love mercy, And to walk humbly with your God? --Micah
6:8-- ==