On 10/18/2012 02:21 AM, Pamecha, Abhishek wrote:
Tom

Do you mean you are using GPFS instead of HDFS? Also, if you can share,
are you deploying it as DAS set up or a SAN?

Thanks,

Abhishek

Though I don't think I'd buy a SAN for a new Hadoop cluster, we have a SAN and are using it *instead of HDFS* with a small/medium Hadoop MapReduce cluster (up to 100 nodes or so, depending on our need). We still use the local node disks for intermediate data (mapred local storage). Although this set-up does limit our possibility to scale to a large number of nodes, that's not a concern for us. On the plus, we gain the flexibility to be able to share our cluster with non-Hadoop users at our centre.

--
Luca Pireddu
CRS4 - Distributed Computing Group