Correct:  I set 'yarn.nodemanager.resource.memory-mb' ten times the node
physical memory (512MB) and I was able to successfully execute a  'pi 1 10'
mapreduce job.

Since default 'yarn.app.mapreduce.am.resource.mb' value is 1536MB I
expected the job to never start / be allocated and I have no valid
explanation.