Hi Stack
I've looked again over our conversation and I think my comment was not very clear. So, your pom does not need to be patched, it is fine as long as people don't use hbase-test library in their projects. If they do, again pom is fine but their pom need a dependency on the right hadoop-test, now that is v 0.20-append-r1056497 which is not publicly available.
This problem can be solved now by:

-using http://people.apache.org/~rawson/repo or other unofficial repo with known risks

-make 0.20-append-r1056497 available on a public reliable server

-change hbase-test API so HDFS minicluser (MiniDFSCluster) is instantiated internally and not by unit tests (no need for hadoop-test dependency)

If the last 2 options are feasible for you I can create a JIRA, just let me know.

Regards
Daniel