I should clarify.

4 months ago is 'old' with respect to the rate of change within Hadoop/HBase.
(Its a scary good thing.)

Ted is correct that I'm looking at MapRTech's ability to do fast snap shots.

Its important to note that while the Apache stack has certain limitations,
derivative works may not have the same limitations.  So while its important to
look at the FAQ, its only a starting place.
While I have no skin in the Hadoop stack game, I do have a vested interest in
recommending the best derivative work that meets my customers' requirements.

I'm not sure when and what HortonWorks is going to offer. They are really too
new to have everything worked out. (And I do look forward to their support
offering.)
When I spoke to their COO he indicated that they will be supporting the Apache
release and selling a commercial support license for the Apache release, that
doesn't mean that they will not end up with a derivative work in the near
future.
(I'd actually love to have him or someone from HortonWorks come to Chicago in
Sept to talk to our CHUG. ;-)
I'm sorry that I digressed but the point I was trying to make was that
customers want a commercial support package and only derivative works meet this
requirement. The ability to better manage the cluster, its resources, and
provide better control over job management are critical features.

I really don't want to suggest that the FAQ start tracking all of the features
in the derivative works, but if its going to reference outside blogs... maybe
it should? (Or also link to their blogs?)

On a side note... IMHO I love the fact that we have a couple of companies doing
commercial releases. The competition is good in that improvements are starting
to happen at a faster pace.

-Mike