Don't forget that Gluster just released a beta open source Hadoop connector.
 Their "we'll just a dip a toe in the hadoop community" approach doesn't
inspire confidence.  On the other hand, they have a decent track record
regarding larger HA file system setups and offer many things that MapR
offers (e.g. NFS, built as a distributed file system since day 1, etc.)
along with open source.

I agree with Joe that there aren't great options with regards to HA.

   1. If you're okay with closed source and a big price tag (list is like
   4k/node), MapR is probably your best option.
   2. If you're Facebook or Yahoo you can make a solution work because you
   have the manpower.
   3. If you're not either 1 or 2, you're kinda stuck on the Hadoop side of
   things--you use the best hardware you can for the namenode and use either
   DRBD or a redundant SAN (which can be had for much less than 250k)

I strongly believe that things have the potential to change substantially
within the next 12 months.  (More optimistic than Ryan-- maybe because he
has seen the Hadoop community thrashing for longer).

And yes, ceph is getting closer all the time.