Hi

I am not very sure about the storage savings you are talking about, But there
is definitely savings in RAM as there is block level index and bloom filter
instead of file level. More here

http://www.cloudera.com/blog/2012/06/hbase-io-hfile-input-output/
http://hbase.apache.org/book.html#d540e10937

Was compression enabled in 0.90? is it enabled now in 0.92?

./zahoor