HBase relies on hdfs features heavily.
HBase also  supports running Map Reduce Jobs.

You can find examples in these places (0.94 codebase):

./security/src/test/java/org/apache/hadoop/hbase/mapreduce
./src/examples/mapreduce/org/apache/hadoop/hbase/mapreduce
./src/main/java/org/apache/hadoop/hbase/mapreduce
./src/main/resources/org/apache/hadoop/hbase/mapreduce