Hi,

We have a scenario where HBase is used like a Key Value Database to map
Keys to Regions. We have over 5 Million Keys, but the table size is less
than 7 GB. The read volume is pretty high - About 50x of the put/delete
volume. This causes hot spotting on the Data Node and the region is not
split. We cannot change the maxregionsize parameter as that will impact
other tables too.

Our idea is to manually inspect the row key ranges and then split the
region manually and assign them to different region servers. We will
continue to then monitor the rows in one region to see if needs to be split.

Any experience of doing this on HBase. Is this a recommended approach?

Thanks,
Manish