With my Hadoop hat's on, we have not yet officially declared Hadoop 2.8
EOL. I think the 2.8 download missing from the web page is just a mistake.

That being said, some of the biggest Hadoop users (LinkedIn, Yahoo,
Microsoft) that I am aware of are moving up from 2.7/2.8 to 2.10, and that
2.8.5 (the last version in the 2.8 line) was released in Sep 2018, more
than a year ago. It doesn't look like the community has the desire to
continue the 2.8 line.

I think it is a little extreme to remove hadoop2 profile, given that Hadoop
2.9 and 2.10 are still active and I expect Hadoop 2 to stay around for at
least 2 years out.