From: Rahul Sharma<mailto:kippy....@gmail.com>
Sent: ‎26/‎08/‎2015 17:53
To: user@hive.apache.org<mailto:user@hive.apache.org>
Subject: Re: HiveServer2 & Kerberos

Even I (and a few others I know in different orgs) have been confused by the
password prompts. So looking at the multiple users using their own credentials
to authenticate, would that mean Kerberos is not used for authentication? Only
for Authorization? In which case what will the authorization be verified
against? The credentials user supplied or the principal that was supplied?

At the risk of sounding too naive:

  *   How is kerberos used with HiveServer2? Is it only used for secure (as in
authenticated, authorized) communication with metastore and hadoop services? In
which case having different user name and password for the user to login would
make sense.
  *   If its also used for authenticate/authorize the JDBC connection, then
wouldn't separate keytabs/principals solve the multiple users use case?

Again, my apologies if the questions are too naive. The docs, didn't answers
these questions. I would be happy to help update them if others feel the
questions are valid.

On Wed, Aug 26, 2015 at 9:01 AM,
kulkarni.swar...@gmail.com<mailto:kulkarni.swar...@gmail.com>
<kulkarni.swar...@gmail.com<mailto:kulkarni.swar...@gmail.com>> wrote:
Nope. Because the credentials are different. You might have multiple users
using there own credentials to authenticate themselves but there are only
single defined credentials to be used by the metastore server.

On Wed, Aug 26, 2015 at 10:58 AM, Loïc Chanel