> my understanding is that after using kerberos authentication, you
probably don’t need the password.

That is not an accurate statement. Beeline is a JDBC client as compared to
Hive CLI which is a thrift client to talk to HIveServer2. So it would need
the password to establish that JDBC connection. If you look at the beeline
console code[1], it actually first tries to read the
"javax.jdo.option.ConnectionUserName" and
"javax.jdo.option.ConnectionPassword" property which is the same username
and password that you have setup your backing metastore DB with. If it is
MySWL, it would be the password you set MySQL with or empty if you
haven't(or are using derby). Kerberos is merely a tool for you to
authenticate yourself so that you cannot impersonate yourself as someone
else.

[1]
https://github.com/apache/hive/blob/3991dba30c5068cac296f32e24e97cf87efa266c/beeline/src/java/org/apache/hive/beeline/Commands.java#L1117-L1125

--