Thanks for your reply. Let me try to answer your 2 questions below.
1. I understand that it sacrifices the backups incase it can't place
backups appropriately. Question is, is it possible to fail the deployment
rather than risking single copy of data present in cluster. If this only
copy goes down, we will have downtime as data won't be present in cluster.
We should rather throw error if enough hardware is not present than risking
data unavailability issue during business activity

2. Why we want 3 copies of data. It's a design choice. We want to ensure
even if 2 nodes go down, we still have 3rd present to serve the data.

Hope I answered your question

On Tue, 1 Nov 2022, 19:40 Jeremy McMillan, <jeremy.mcmil...@gridgain.com>
wrote:

> This question is a design question.
>
> What kids of fault states do you expect to tolerate? What is your failure
> budget?
>
> Why are you trying to make more than 2 copies of the data distribute
> across only two failure domains?
>
> Also "fail fast" means discover your implementation defects faster than
> your release cycle, not how fast you can cause data loss.
>
> On Tue, Nov 1, 2022, 09:01 Surinder Mehra <redni...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> gentle reminder.
>> One additional question: We have observed that if available AZs are less
>> than backups count, ignite skips creating backups. Is this correct
>> understanding? If yes, how can we fail fast if backups can not be placed
>> due to AZ limitation?
>>
>> On Mon, Oct 31, 2022 at 6:30 PM Surinder Mehra <redni...@gmail.com>
>> wrote:
>>
>>> Hi,
>>> As per link attached, to ensure primary and backup partitions are not
>>> stored on same node, We used AWS AZ as backup filter and now I can see if I
>>> start two ignite nodes on the same machine, primary partitions are evenly
>>> distributed but backups are always zero which is expected.
>>>

>>> https://www.gridgain.com/docs/latest/installation-guide/aws/multiple-availability-zone-aws
>>>
>>> My question is what would happen if AZ-1 has 2 machines and AZ-2 has 1
>>> machine and ignite cluster has only 3 nodes, each machine having one ignite
>>> node.
>>>
>>> Node1[AZ1] - keys 1-100
>>> Node2[AZ1] -  keys 101-200