first things you must learn before are:

- how works a maven settings.xml and how to set it in your machine;

- how m2e works related to a pure maven outside eclipse...

- how to make m2e ignore unsupported plugins...

here you have tips how to build outside eclipse: http://jbehave.org/reference/latest/building-source.html

for the rest, I'm sure you will find lot of materials on the net...

Cristiano