Thank you.

I forgot about the page which explains the JBehave source building. So I
didn't see that I need to use that settings.xml file.

But I think my biggest mistake was when importing the maven project into
Eclipse. The import wizard shows me the plugins which can't be found. There
I can choose in a little dropdown that m2e writes into the pom.xml that
these plugins are ignored.

It works now with that approach.

However, you could add these settings into the pom.xml parent file, so it
would be no problem to import the maven projects into Eclipse. But I am
afraid that you want to be IDE neutral. In that case a documentation on how
to import JBehave sources into Eclipse would be nice. I would be willing to
contribute if you provide some Wiki for JBehave (because I cannot commit
anything in Github from the company and it is too much overhead to create
HTML pages for me).