Well I still have trouble with the permissions /users after a  couple of
years. All sorts of weird things happen.

I've  stated previously that I consider the security configuration
extremely complicated, bordering on unusable.  You cannot have a credible
product that uses (simultaneously) file permissions, web container
permissions, wiki policies and per page directives.  I can't think of
another application that has such complex security across so many levels.
It's madness - do you hear me?  Sheer madness :-)

Seriously, I would suggest a  total overhaul to simplify massively. I'd
even consider writing some clearer documentation.   It might reduce the
number of set up issues that appear here. Although, with four dimensional
security I suspect I'm not up to it.

What was the question again..?

It seems to me that if only the front page is publicly visible, it needn't
be within the wiki's context.  Simply have a static front page at one URI,
and have the private wiki at another.  It also means you don't have to
explain why you're being unfriendly as the wiki will be invisible
(unlinked).  I have something similar myself.  Or have I misunderstood?