While I somewhat agree that an implementation of using an externalized
Access Control Model would be better in some respects, I do find that the
current implementation is well thought out and quite flexible for Wiki
usage.

Any Java Container implementation must simultaneously deal with file
permissions, web container permissions, java.policy.

WIKI-Groups and Page ACLs were deliberately meant to be managed outside of
the web container or java.policy so that users can create discretionary
"roles" without getting system admins involved. This is an intentional
feature, and a very powerful one which along with Page ACLs reduces the
barrier to adoption.
We all know the difficulty of getting some administrator in some other area
of an organization to grant (or deny) access to a "thing".

Note that the hierarchy for Access Control is: (I do not see this
documented, it was in a user group a few years back)

   - "built-in" roles
   - container-managed roles
   - WIKI-Groups
   - WIKI-Profiles

AFIK, any "Container" implementation deals with deal with file permissions,
"Container" permissions.

There are some complexities that may documented but not so well for those
not familiar with the concepts.
I think this page probably summarise most of the concepts:
https://jspwiki-wiki.apache.org/Wiki.jsp?page=Wiki.Admin.Security

Questions, Comments and Suggestions for improvements are always welcome.

--
-jim
Jim Willeke