From: Andreas Pieber [mailto:anpie...@gmail.com]
Sent: Thursday, February 16, 2012 5:03 PM
To: user@karaf.apache.org
Subject: Re: About karaf upgrade

OK, currently there is nothing available. And it's also quite dangerous to do
so. I think the better approach would be to create your own distribution,
upgrade there and produce a completely new rollout package.

Still, of cause you can do as you like and it heavily depends on what you do.
E.g. how do you deploy your artifacts? Do you have a kar package? Do you
install those files one after the other? What you can do depends heavily on
your setup. Basically, assume that you change nothing to the original karaf
files the following procedure should do:

a) stop karaf
b) extract the new karaf version
c) merge the old system & deploy dir into the new one
d) remove the old karaf dir
e) move the new one to the place where the old had been.

Though, pls keep in mind that all bundles you've started with "start ID" wont
start up automatically again (because you've deleted the data dir). Only
bundles in the deploy dir will be started again. But tbh I don't know what
exactly you would win by this approach.

Maybe you can describe how you're using Karaf (and what you modify in the
distribution for your setup) a little bin in more detail?

Kind regards,
Andreas