Achim, thank you for your reply. In fact, I have tried deploying my
application using just features, no KAR, and, indeed, was able to make it
deploy without errors. However, I can't 100% pin-point and consistently
recreate the sequence of steps required to get it to work.  I wipe out the
Data folder, start from the clean slate, and sometimes it works, sometimes
it gives me the same error. One thing I know, the only times when it
actually worked, I used Spring 3.2.4.RELEASE (as the provided dependency for
my application bundles), manually uninstalled the Spring 4.0.2.RELEASE_1
feature and installed Spring 3.2.4.RELEASE in Karaf. At this point, I am
sure I can eventually figure out how to manually deploy everything, it is
just too frustrating that I have to spend more time on fighting with Karaf
than on the development of my application. Makes me think that it totally
defeats the purpose of using Karaf/OSGi, in the first place...

Nevertheless, even if I can deploy my features with manual Karaf config
tweaking, that's not going to satisfy my Prod requirements. The Prod
environment has no access to any public or local Maven repositories, and it
is desirable to have a self-contained archive that an admin would drop into
the container and "forget about it". So, I would really like to understand
which core Karaf features must be available and activated (and which must be
disabled, if any) to ensure that my [fairly simple] Camel/Spring
4.0.2/Spring-DM application deploys as a KAR without the above errors.  Note
that the error states:

*Caused by:
org.springframework.beans.factory.parsing.BeanDefinitionParsingException:
Configuration problem:  Unable to locate Spring NamespaceHandler for XML
schema namespace [http://www.springframework.org/schema/osgi-compendium] *

It seems as if some Spring bundle(s) are not being started properly, even
although I explicitly install spring/spring-dm features and see that the
features are marked with "x" (installed). I don't see any spring bundles in
the bundles 'list', but that's ok, right?