I'd rather would like to see K4 released too but I don't know when it will
be planned.
As far as I know there are still lot of work to do for a K4 release.
As I'm not (yet) involved in it, it's a supposition based on the changelog
:-).

Currently, I think there are some confusion with the actual version 2.4.Z
and 3.0.Z.
I think it's a bit strange to a lambda user that karaf 2.4.Z has a full
support for OSGi 5 and Karaf 3.0.Z has only a partial support.

So I think that

   - whether the documentation should be clearer to say that K3 will be
   abandoned
   - whether we should have a K3.1.Z release as JB said

I think the solution 2 is better regarding the lambda user than the
solution 1 but the work to do may be too hard if we have to throw it away
regarding K4.
I don't know actually.

Regards,

Arnaud