Your are not wrong Aries JPA 2 and Aries transaction 3 will be annotation only. You will only have the enable elements in the xml. This was announced quite a while ago on the dev list.
In fact the disruptive nature is why both are major versions.

The JPA and JTA annotations are not related in any way to the old blueprint annotation support. The old blueprint annotations were completely Aries proprietary. As far as I know they were never really used much.

The maven-blueprint-plugin is also unrelated to the old blueprint annotation support. My goal for all these developments is to rely as much on standard annotations as possible. I think the reason why the old blueprint annotations never took off is that they introduced one more proprietary injection model. People are not willing to throw all they learned over board and learn some proprietary model that will even lock them in. Another argument for the standard annotations is that we need much less documentation as
they are well documented in the standards.

About the xml support for JPA and JTA. It would have been possible to keep it but I do not really see a big advantage for the xml. It is much more verbose and made the code quite complicated. The new code for JPA and JTA is much simpler to read and maintain.

If you want to keep with the xml support then you can stay on the 1.x versions. The IBM developers on Aries announced that they will keep using them for quite some while.
So I hope they will provide maintenance releases.

Btw. For the new annotations you do not need to annotate each method. You can use @Transactional on the class level and override on methods were you need different behaviour.

Christian